Pediatric sports medicine program in Denver
At Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children (RMHC) in Denver, our orthopedic care and sports medicine teams collaborate to provide comprehensive youth sports medicine treatments to children and young athletes.
For more information about our youth sports medicine program, please call (877) 752-2737.
At Rocky Mountain Pediatric OrthoONE, we treat sports injuries in children of all ages, whether an injury occurs during an organized sport or while playing in the backyard. Our pediatric sports medicine doctors in Denver are trained to care for the unique needs of young athletes and specialize in managing all types of injuries.
Our dedicated team of nationally known orthopedic surgeons, pediatric sports medicine specialists, physician assistants, rehabilitation therapists, athletic trainers and clinical psychologists will develop a detailed, individualized treatment plan or a rehabilitation program, focused on getting your child safely back to his or her active lifestyle.
If surgery is necessary, our fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons will discuss appropriate, age-specific surgical options. In addition, RMHC offers patients full access to other pediatric specialties right here on our Denver campus.Find a pediatric sports medicine doctor
Common youth sports injuries we treat
Our pediatric orthopedic and sports medicine specialists in Denver provide care for a wide range of sports injuries in children, including:
- Broken bones
- Concussions and head injuries
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Growth plate injuries
- Hand, wrist, elbow and shoulder injuries
- Hip injuries
- Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI)
- Slipped capital femoral epiphysis (SCFE)
- Knee injuries
- Neck and back injuries
- Sprains, strains and contusions
- Stress fractures
Sports injury surgery
RMHC’s surgeons have been trained in the latest surgical techniques for all types of bone and joint injuries that are common in youth athletes. The sports medicine team meets to discuss each patient’s injury and appropriate surgical management, including post-operative rehabilitation.
Each individual has unique surgical needs. Our surgeons specialize in physeal sparing (growth plate) surgical techniques for kids that are still growing, as well as more traditional surgical intervention for older athletes. It is important that a growing child is evaluated by a pediatric surgeon trained in these techniques.
Our pediatric orthopedic surgeons commonly perform the following surgeries for children:
- ACL reconstruction
- Arthroscopic procedures
- Deformity correction
- Surgical management of broken bones
- Spine fracture care
- Ligament and tendon repair
- Tommy John surgery
- Labral repair of hip and shoulder
Sports injury rehabilitation
Often, student athletes and children need physical therapy and rehabilitation as a treatment or as pre- or post-surgical rehabilitation to ensure a full, healthy recovery. Our Pediatric Outpatient Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Program offers physical therapy, occupational therapy and speech therapy to help athletes return to activity safely and quickly.
Youth sports medicine resources
Below are sports medicine resources for parents, teachers and coaches:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery
- National Institutes of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements
- Stop Sports Injuries
- Sports Safety
- Tackling in youth football
- ACL injuries
- Bone health in young athletes
- Concussion management and head injuries
- Concussion news
- Concussions in kids
- Little league elbow
- Nutrition tips for athletes
- Overuse injuries in kids
- Pediatric sports medicine frequently asked questions
- Sports drinks vs. energy drinks
- Childhood sports injuries
- Snowboarding and skiing safety
- Sports performance programs
- Is it a sprain, strain or break?
- Stretching and strength training in young athletes