Pediatric oncology in the Rocky Mountain region
At Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children (RMHC) at Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center (P/SL), our pediatric cancer specialists combine expert diagnostic skills with experienced and comprehensive care for children, adolescents and young adults with cancer.
We understand that it is critical for any child with a diagnosis of cancer to have the love and encouragement of their friends and family. Together with the medical and emotional support of our experienced team of pediatric cancer specialists, he or she will have the tools to necessary to conquer cancer.Find a Pediatric Oncologist
Why choose our team for pediatric cancer care
As members of the Children’s Oncology Group, a worldwide consortium of pediatric cancer centers supported by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), we collaborate on clinical and laboratory research with other investigators from across the U.S. and abroad. This important relationship allows our pediatric cancer specialists to participate in the most advanced treatments, giving our patients the best care available, while helping to improve knowledge in the field and improve outcomes for the future.
RMHC has a complete team of specialists in pediatric hematology and pediatric oncology, including experienced nurses, nurse practitioners, nurse navigators and support staff. Our patients and their families benefit from our medical expertise that is balanced by our commitment to easing fears and pain, assisting with supportive care, helping to manage acute and/or ongoing side effects of chemotherapy and providing nutrition and health guidance throughout care and into childhood cancer survivorship.
We work closely with your child’s primary care doctor, collaborating during and after the course of treatment. It is important to us that children are treated as a whole, instead of solely focusing on treating their disease, throughout and after treatment.
In our Pediatric Outpatient Center, we offer infusion chemotherapy, bio therapies, antibiotics or medicines for other conditions, such as DDAVP and Remicade. We also provide specially trained pediatric cancer nurses who are:
- Certified in giving chemo and bio therapies
- Certified in Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Educated on an ongoing basis in pediatric hematology and oncology
- Specially trained at starting pediatric IVs, accessing central lines and responding to any emergencies that may arise during infusion
Services we offer
We provide a wide range of pediatric oncology services to treat your child’s cancer. Our multi-disciplinary team of pediatric oncology specialists offers:
- Personalized patient nurse navigators to help you and your child understand the medical journey, understand medications, improve communication between you and your care teams, overcome barriers, coordinate care and connect you with community resources
- Chemotherapy and other treatment options for children and teens with cancer, such as blood disorders (pediatric hematology) and pediatric sarcoma (also known as bone cancer or orthopedic oncology
- Clinical trials for children
- Medical and Surgical treatment (medical and surgical oncology)
- Radiation therapy (radiation oncology) and pediatric pathology
- Psychological support
- Home care services
- Child life specialist
Types of childhood cancer we treat
We treat a wide range of pediatric cancers and related disorders, including:
- Acute lymphoblastic leukemia
- Acute and chronic myeloid leukemia
- Hodgkin lymphoma
- Non-Hodgkin lymphoma
- Osteogenic and Ewing’s sarcoma and other bone cancers
- Rhabdomyosarcoma and other soft tissue tumors
- Germ cell tumors
- Eye tumors
- Langerhans cell histiocytosis
- Liver and kidney tumors
- Blood disorders including common and rare anemias, neutropenias, clotting disorders, myelodysplastic syndromes, bone marrow failures and more
At RMHC, we provide expert care for children with bone cancer. While most tumors in children are benign, our board-certified pediatric complex orthopedic and oncology specialists have extensive experience so that you get the right diagnosis and treatment plan in the shortest amount of time. Our multidisciplinary team of specialists treats a wide range of sarcomas (tumors) that are present in the bones, including Ewing sarcoma, chondrosarcoma, fibrosarcoma, giant cell tumor, chordoma and more. RMHC is a leader in providing high-quality treatment and compassionate care for children with cancer.
When you choose RMHC for your child’s cancer care, you are selecting a hospital that combines all of their resources to provide your child with the complete care they need. Our pediatric oncologists, orthopedic surgeons, infusion specialists, specially trained nurses, patient nurse navigators and support staff all work together to ensure your child receives the multispecialty care necessary to treat pediatric sarcomas.Learn more about osteosarcoma in children
Pediatric cancer resources
We are proud to offer pediatric cancer resources to help you and your child with life outside of the hospital. We understand treating cancer can put a strain on finances, so we provide a social work team to help you get in touch with national and local resources and organizations who can help.
National pediatric cancer support resources and services include the following:
Denver-area and Colorado state resources include: