Complex orthopedics and pediatric limb preservation programs in Denver
Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children (RMHC) and Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Medical Center (P/SL) have been and continue to be the region’s premier medical provider in caring for diseases and trauma affecting the extremities for more than 30 years. RMHC’s medical professionals specialize in the management and treatment of limbs that are at risk in children.
To find a pediatric limb preservation specialist, please call us at (877) 752-2737.
Limb-saving care for kids
Our multidisciplinary team ensures that your child receives the best, personalized treatment. Our comprehensive program offers patients access to high-level, advanced care, such as:
- Expertise in pediatric oncology, radiation oncology, orthopedic care and surgery, infectious diseases, microvascular plastic surgery, amputation rehabilitation, pathology and neuromodulation for pain management.
- Full-time referral coordinator to assist with referrals, appointments, transportation and lodging during the patient work-up.
- The latest treatments with proven success based on continuing clinical research.
- Weekly interdisciplinary patient conferences.
- Active involvement in outcome studies, publications and presentations at world-wide medical conferences.
- Social work services to assist with financial counseling and psychosocial concerns.
Our limb preservation programs
In collaboration with P/SL, we offer the following limb preservation programs to aid children throughout the Rocky Mountain region:
- Amputation program—We provide guidance, recovery, physical therapy and rehabilitation, prosthetic fitting and psychological counseling.
- Bone-healing program—Surgical treatment is provided for your child to correct bone conditions, such as deformities.
- Bone tumor program—In the case that your child has a tumor in his or her bones, we can provide soft tissue reconstruction, growing prosthesis and foam metal technologies.
- Mangled-extremity program—For traumatic incidents, this program can manage infection, stabilize fractures and more.
- Avascular necrosis program—Our team of plastic surgeons provides surgical options for diseased joints, depending on your child’s activity level and lifestyle.
- Extremity-replantation program—Our group of surgeons is able to reattach an amputated body part and provide consultations and therapy as post-operative care.
- Pediatric sarcoma program—We offer comprehensive care to preserve a limb affected by sarcoma (a tumor of the bone).
Pediatric sarcoma program
At RMHC, our limb preservation specialists are experts in managing pediatric extremity tumors and are able to treat children with pediatric sarcomas, including bone and soft tissue sarcomas. Our team believes in preserving life over limb, but we also make preserving extremities a top priority. We strive to give your child the best chance at survival without the added hardship of the loss of a limb.
We prioritize successful management of sarcomas in children through appropriate chemotherapy administration and limb-sparing surgical procedures, so we can avoid limb loss and help your child return to a healthy, full life.
We treat a range of osteosarcomas, or bone cancers, including pediatric ewing sarcoma, chondrosarcoma and chordoma.