Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at North Suburban Medical Center
A Level II Nursery for Premature and Very Sick Babies
For babies born early or with complex medical conditions, North Suburban provides advanced care in our Level II Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). Our NICU offers one of the highest levels of medical care available for newborns and young babies.
The NICU Care Team
The North Suburban NICU's dedicated team of specialists work together to provide the best care possible. This team includes:
- Board-certified neonatologists, also known as doctors specializing in the care of premature and seriously ill newborns
- Neonatal nurse practitioners & neonatal registered nurses
- Respiratory therapists
- Social Workers
- Lactation specialists
- Other consultant specialists, including pharmacists and developmental therapists
Having a child in the NICU is usually not planned, and it can be very confusing and upsetting. You will be an important member of the NICU team. We'll work with you and your family to make sure that you are involved every step of the way.
Getting Your Baby Well Quickly
The goal of care in our NICU is to get your baby healthy as quickly as possible. Through advanced medical treatment and emotional support for your baby and family, our team works around the clock to get your baby home where you and your family can be together. Visiting guidelines are flexible as we know that bonding is important to the healing process.
Other Special NICU Features
- Availability of frozen donor breast milk
- Designated family waiting area
- Kangaroo Care, also called skin to skin holding, is encouraged
- Secure unit to ensure safety
- Refrigerator and supplies for nursing moms