HealthONE hospitals send one itemized bill out for all the hospital services provided during your stay. So why do you receive several other bills? Because not all the people who cared for you or services you received were provided directly by the hospital.
Most physicians, surgeons, anesthesiologists, radiologists and pathologists who care for patients at a hospital are not employees of the hospital. They have their own practices and provide services to patients in the hospital. They then bill for these services themselves directly to patients (or the patient's insurance company).
On Your Hospital Bill
The bill that comes from the hospital itself covers things that the hospital directly provides, such as:
- Any operating rooms or testing facilities or equipment used
- Nursing services
- Procedures, tests, medications and IVs
- Nutrition and food services
- Supplies like bedding, hospital gowns, catheters and bandages
- Services ranging from environmental services to medical waste removal
NOT On Your Hospital Bill
Typically any physician or provider who delivered care when you were in the hospital but has a private practice will bill you separately for the services provided. This often includes:
- Family physicians or internists
- Specialty physicians (e.g., anesthesiologists, cardiologists, endocrinologists, pathologists, radiologists)
- Surgical assistants
- Neuromonitoring services
An EOB is NOT Your Hospital Bill
When you receive healthcare services, your insurance company sends you an explanation of benefits (EOB). An EOB is NOT a bill or a request for payment from you. The EOB details the medical treatment you received and explains how your insurance processed the claim for the services you received.
An EOB includes information on:
- The services provided
- What the doctor or hospital charged (all charges)
- What your insurance covered and did not cover
- What your insurance agreed to pay
- The amount you are responsible for
Billing Questions? Call us!
While we can't provide details on the bills from another provider, we'll do our best to connect you to the appropriate physician's office to better assist you. Help is available by phone and email as well. See the information printed on your hospital bill or visit the hospital's website for more information.
Additionally, MyHealthONE is our convenient online portal where patients can view and pay their hospital bills, see lab results, find details about hospital visits and more, 24/7.