Carbon Monoxide Safety

Do You Know That Carbon Monoxide Can Kill You?

What Is Carbon Monoxide (CO)?

  • CO is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, deadly gas.
  • Burning any kind of fuel like wood, coal or natural gas produces CO.

What Are Some Signs of CO Poisoning?

  • Headaches and dizziness
  • Sleepiness
  • Feeling tired, weak, or short of breath
  • Feeling confused, forgetful, and unable to concentrate
  • Being irritable, grumpy, and moody
  • Nausea, upset stomach, vomiting

To Prevent CO Poisoning in Your Home, do the Following:

  • Place CO detectors outside all sleeping areas in your home.
  • Yearly expert inspection of furnace, fuel-burning appliances, vents, and chimneys.
  • Never leave a motor vehicle running in a garage or outside an open window or air vent.
  • Never use a gas oven or gas range for heating.
  • Never burn charcoal or use a fuel burning stove or heater indoors.
  • Never use an outdoor gas or wood burning stove, grill, or heater indoors.

HealthONE Trauma Centers are acclaimed referral centers serving trauma and neurotrauma patients throughout the Rocky Mountain region. HealthONE Trauma Centers provide experienced physicians you can trust, facilities that provide leading-edge technology and staff that cares for patients and families.

HealthONE Injury Prevention